Sunday 21 December 2014

I walked down Milsom Street today

A few weeks ago I visited Bath, for an afternoon's mooch around the Christmas market there. Walking along Milsom Street, I thought of Mr Nash as one of his earlier poems had referenced a visit he'd made to Bath in 1959 - and to this street in particular - and it was though-provoking to be walking in his footsteps some 50 years later.

Here are a few photos from my visit:

Milsom Street signage - as Mr Nash would've seen it too (minus Kiehl's!)

Bath Abbey

Burton Street and festive lighting

And here's an undated poem from Mr Nash. Wandering the narrow streets of Bath, I found a shop called The Tasting Room, which sold a wide range of wines and spirits. Including a bottle I hadn't seen for many years - since I was a teenager in fact, and Punt e Mes was my mother's favourite tipple. So I bought a bottle, and gave it a try when I got home. Verdict? It's grim! It's a vermouth, but very bitter, with a herbal/orangey aftertaste. The man in the shop suggested it was worth trying with gin and Campari but I'm not convinced that will improve it for me any more!

On with Mr Nash's words...
Give me leave to love
And I'll not listen
For think you that I love
And brook condition?
Or think you I will cease
Without possession?
Love me or love me not
I love without remission.


No comments:

Post a Comment