Tuesday 24 September 2013

One of the first poems?


The trouble is. The poems aren't all in order. Some are dated. Some aren't. But from reading them all, and building up an insight into the story, I think this could have been one of the earliest ones, possibly January 1959. But I don't really know. Marianne must have caught Cyril's eye as she browsed the bookshelves in his shop. I suppose she would've been quite distinctive - a woman in her early twenties with a penchant for old books. He must've asked her name, as the poem is personalised 'To M M'. He must've written his first poem to her. He must've waited for her to come back to the shop and make her next purchase. He must've hidden the poem inside the book she bought. The poem reads:

"Miserere Mei"

She took the loathsome book
From off these shelves of mine
And came to me with troubled eyes
Because she could not pay the price
So clearly marked inside
(Deliberately high, to fend off youth)
And asked me to reduce it.

I took the volume in my hand
With its corruption plain for all to see
And looked into her eyes
All goodness virginal,
And steeled myself to sharply say
"I will not take a penny less" -
And cursed myself for fool and knave
To see her small face set
Prepared to make this sacrifice,
And pay.

I wonder how this poem was received by Marianne? It didn't stop her returning to the shop, certainly. And so the poems continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment