Wednesday 26 February 2014

26/2/1959 How first we met

A poem from Mr Nash written on Thursday, 26 February 1959. This one is marked with two pencilled ticks - an indication that he particularly liked this one, and wanted it to be considered for publishing with Marianne's consent. It's also numbered in the top left with a '2', indicating the order he wanted his chosen poems to appear. I'm not sure we have all the numbers though.
Shall I, then, describe
How first we met?
For you might never know
Or never care.
But I, who came within
The orbit of your lovely eyes
Must tribute pay
Or must for ever silent stay.
What did you wear?
I do not know, for clothes are cast
And character is not.
Where did we meet?
It would not matter save that here,
Among my books we found
A common interest.
Yet here, among these books
Your bright swift searching eyes
Had read another page if you had wished
A page that was my heart.
I could not read the writing there
Myself, for who can comprehend
The glory of the stars that were
Reflected there?
Yet now I know in part, since that
Remembered gaze, so idly cast
Fills all my waking days.
And I can nothing give to you
Who nothing lack, save this
The homage of my praise.
26/2/1959

No comments:

Post a Comment