Tuesday 4 March 2014

3/3/1959 Another mood

Mr Nash's poem of 3rd March 1959 tells of Marianne visiting his shop in her lunch hour, but not striking up conversation with him. Was she weary of his attentions, or was something else affecting her mood? I wish she was here to ask, and find out what she thought of all these poems...

I saw you in another mood today,
Your lovely face all set and sadly tense;
I thought at once of Mary Queen of Scots
(I know not why - perhaps a portrait seen)
Embarking, apprehensively on that
Last journey to her native land again
When all great hearts went out to that poor girl
And still, across the vista of the years,
Their thoughts are echoed by all kindly men.
I stood quite near to you today, and yet
The mist of countless years between us lay
And you seemed more remote than any star.
I stood and watched and waited for a word
Which might these barriers break down at last
When I could offer all I have and are
To you to do with as you will, and I
Would be content to serve without reward
Save that your smile might hearten me again.
3/3/1959

No comments:

Post a Comment