Thursday 17 July 2014

8/7/1959 Half the world...

At the end of one of his poems dated 18 June, Mr Nash added a postcript that he would be on holiday "for a fortnight from Tuesday next", which would have been 23 June 1959. So this poem was likely written upon return from his break, during which we know he visited Bath. Being at least two weeks since he had seen Marianne at his shop in London, it seems to have been playing fairly heavily on his mind...

Note the single tick top left of the piece of paper - indicating Mr Nash liked this poem, and wanted to get Marianne's thoughts on it. (Other poems featured 2 ticks and a sequential number, which meant that it was a particular favourite, and that Mr Nash sought to publish them with Marianne's permission, in the order he numbered).

I would walk half the world to see you now
If by some sad mischance, extremity
Had parted us so far, this I do vow
For you are all my homing, instancy.
What matters it, if half the world away
Or you had gone this moment from my side?
Here or there, you would not bid me stay
Or could not care, perhaps might me deride.
If must be so - Age can make no demands
On you, and would not wish to make amiss -
Then For taking soils the givers' and the takers' hands
And both might lose eternity's grave kiss.
But if you called? How could I then refuse
For you are heaven, so I have nought to lose.
8th July, 1959


No comments:

Post a Comment