Sunday 7 September 2014

16 & 17 July 1959 Rockets and ships


Like to a rocket
Launched to outer space
I send this message to you now
Not knowing how it may be seen
Or how received into your spacious mind,
But it might blazon to the skies
And shew to you in its reflected light
The glory of your splendid eyes;
Then let it die, contented to have been.
Yet would I choose to be consumed
Within your own affection's flame
For heaven itself
Would then revolve round me.
16th July, 1959


I have seen great ships in London Docks
Take on their cargoes for far distant lands;
Cootamundra, Chicacole, and Sind.
And in times past I would have joined
To do their battle with the unknown seas.
But I am launched on seas more troublesome
With crazy compasses that point at me,
My own uncharted, undiscovered heart.
Pray for the sailor out at sea
But think of me, for you command my destiny.
17th July, 1959


No comments:

Post a Comment