Monday 20 October 2014

17/9/1959 Seven long weeks...

So it seems that Marianne's visits to Jon Ash bookshop on Cullum Street in the City of London had come to an abrupt halt according to the poem Mr Nash wrote below on 17 September 1959, and he clearly felt that impact deeply. But it didn't stop his adoration or poetry-writing...


Reading again the verses I have made for you
I live once more the moments' ecstacy
When I did see you as you were, and are,
- Who could but worship where such beauty dwells?
And now, in retrospect I see, when silence
Held me in her sifting self-absorbed embrace
For seven long weeks, where every moment
Still was filled with your sweet presence felt,
That to myself I have been true
And all my words which, wounding as they went
From me, have laid me bare
Yet must I praise, for there's my destiny.
17/9/1959

No comments:

Post a Comment