Monday 20 October 2014

20/7/1959 I have seen your cedars once again

This poem from Mr Nash, written on 20th July 1959, speaks of reminiscence. Her 'old Streatham days' may have been when she had a boyfriend who lived there a few years previously, as mentioned in a previous blog post

I presume Cyril was familiar with the place too but any more detail than that, I don't know. He lived in Croydon at this time, as far as I'm aware. And the cedars? They obviously had great significance and sentiment to him, in his keen efforts to connect with her.


I have seen your cedars once again;
Did you not know I know that they
By you are known? Cast back your mind
To those old Streatham days, for though
I did not know you then, you would have seen
These noble trees that reign with beauty
In this old world Rookery.
Yet underneath their brooding boughs
Your presence I discern, and feel with equal pain
The sad old music of remembered make-believe;
Ah yes, I have my dreams, and if they waken
Painful thoughts, then think of me
And my deep misery, for underneath their leaves
I think and weep for you.

20th July, 1959

No comments:

Post a Comment